Thursday, October 28, 2010

You're Invited


We have all heard of Writer’s Workshop in classrooms, but what is a literacy invitation?   Before reading VanSluy’s article I could not have answered that question.  I now understand the importance of planning, preparation, and shared vision.  Invitaions allow students to raise and pursue questions that are important to them.  We, as teachers, need to provide a supportive learning environment that enable students to ask and respond to those questions that are important to them.  Invitations allow students to understand that we value their perspectives and not just a right answer.

Come with Me
            Come with me
            To the quiet minute between two noisy minutes
            It’s always waiting ready to welcome us
            Tucked under the wing of the day
            I’ll be there
            Where will you be?
                                    —Naomi Shihab Nye

This poem, which is refrenced in Van Sluy’s book “What, If, and Why”, is about taking a moment from the everyday hustle and bustle of our lives.  I found this poem inspirational as we are all so busy with our classes and lives.  Before this class I probably would have read the poem and thought, oh that’s a nice poem, but after reading Van Sluy’s article and Chapter 4 in Allen’s book, I now realize how much a poem can teach us.   I can also appreciate what a poem is.  Before our readings for this week, I thought that a poem had to rhyme.  I had always steered away from poems as a way of expressive writing because I thought that every other line had to rhyme. I really liked how the book suggested that teachers can approach students who are reluctant to learning poetry can be connected by looking at the lyrics to their favorite songs.  When students can relate what they are learning to their everyday lives then it will be something that they will be interested in learning and they will even be more inticed to remember what they have learned. Poetry is not a genre that I remember learning much about in school.  Now, I can’t wait to share poetry with my future students!

No comments:

Post a Comment