Thursday, November 18, 2010

Unlearning the Myths

Rethinking cartoons and fairy tales?  What an intriguing notion.  Before I rush to criticize the cartoons that children watch I must remember that many of these cartoons and fairy tales were written decades ago.  Were they written with certain characters portrayed in a certain light on purpose or were they written simply for entertainment?  I would like to believe that they were made for entertainment and that we are simply reading too much into them.  Unfortunately I believe that the cartoons displayed an era of time.  Why are shows like Leave it to Beaver no longer being shown?  Because they represent a time long passed.  So why are we still showing cartoons and movies from that same era?  Why are new cartoons and movies sending the same messages?  The article referenced a newer version of Cinderella titled "Cindy Ellie, A Modern Fairy Tale."  Though a black girl rather than a white girl portrayed Cinderella, the messages were the same:  dress up pretty and the prince will love you, all stepmothers are bad, and siblings are competition.  Even though cartoons are sometimes modernized, they are sill sending the same message that getting something material, rather it is a new dress or a husband, is the way to make you happy or to be successful.  What the cartoons and movies need to be teaching is that inspiration, not material items, is the keys to happiness and success.
What I especially liked about this article was not so much the analyzing of the cartoons themselves but they way the teacher provided her students an opportunity to make a difference.  She exemplified teaching principals by looking for ways to help students act on their knowledge.  The main point of the article, stated on page 41, was that the teacher wanted her students to learn two things from this lesson:  “First, I want students to critique portrayals of hierarchy and inequality in children’s movies and cartoons.  Then I want to enlist them to imagine a better world, characterized by relationships of respect and equality.”  Based on the examples of her students’ articles, I would say that his lesson about unlearning the myths was a great success. Not only did they imagine a better world but also they acted on their knowledge by writing articles that have been published nationally.
I do not remember watching the princess fairy tales when I grew up; however, I probably read the books.  So, I cannot say how they influenced me personally.  As a teacher, I will be more aware of the influence that cartoons and movies can have on students.  I do believe that for some students having a dream for a better life is very important.  However, we need to teach them that the way for a better life is not through material items or by having a husband or wife, but that success comes from within ourselves.  

6 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Princess and the Frog because it teaches children that they must earn and fight for what they want. The handsome prince in that story is born into wealth but it's taken away from him because he doesn't do anything but play. The main character doesn't sit around and wish upon a star, she works two shifts in pursuit of her dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What the cartoons and movies need to be teaching is that inspiration, not material items, is the keys to happiness and success."

    I agree with this, but I also think that Disney movies / cartoons (I use this example because that is what I was exposed to as a child) includes this aspect, it is just often overlooked. For example, in Aladdin, Princess Jasmine has every material thing she could ever want, but she does not have true happiness because she has no friends. In Pocahontas, the main female character wanted nothing but to be free from the restrains of marriage to a man. And, finally, I totally agree with Diana about Princess and the Frog. It is such a great movie showing how hard work is what makes dreams come true...not wishing on a star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of cartoons exhibiting stereotypes is so interesting to me. I love reading about these types of hidden messages. It seems like you greatly enjoyed reading about it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the ideas about Princess & the Frog. My daughter has grown out of the princess stage so that is one movie that I have not seen. Actually my daughter was scared of the villians in the Disney movies to really get into them too much, she liked the princess idea of being dressed up & pretty but I think she was too young to realize the "hidden" messages that this article was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your last sentence. It really got to me. I'm going through a terrible break up and I feel so unhappy without him...I need to find happiness in myself. I should make my own cartoon movie...well I guess we kind of are, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother insisted that I saw all the Disney princess movies, but she was very vain and concerned that I would grow up to an unfortunate end with my feminist mother. Looks were all-important to her. When I was in college all she ever asked me was when I would get my "Mrs." degree so I could drop out and save my tuition money for more important things, like nicer clothes.

    I did like how the teacher took the lesson outside of the classroom. Children need to understand that they are part of our society and can be part of the solution to whatever problems they see.

    ReplyDelete